Monday, November 16, 2009

Is a Toy Manchester Right for You: Part 2

Is intelligence important to you in a dog? If your answer is 'yes,' you may want to reconsider getting a Toy Manchester. I love Nyxi with all of my heart but, honestly, she is about as smart as a popsicle stick. I have had several breeds of dogs during my life (collie, German Shepard, lab, Great Dane) and I have never had trouble training a dog. Until I got my little Nyxi.

I know that Toy Manchester are often used in agility trials so I'm guessing that other people have had better luck in the training department than I have had. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I am simply used to working with fairly intelligent dogs who learn quickly. Perhaps a qualified dog trainer or someone used to training popsicle sticks would have better results.

At any rate, what she lacks in intelligence, she makes up for in disposition. She is a sweet little dog who does not have a mean or aggressive bone in her little body. Because I have a one-year old daughter (and another baby on the way) that is far more important to me than intelligence.

No comments: