Monday, November 30, 2009

Picky Eater

I want to preface this post by saying that this may be specific to my Toy Manchester. I haven't read anything that states that the breed, as a whole, have this problem. My little Nyxi is a very picky eater! When I first brought her home, I followed the breeder's recommendation and fed her the exact same food that she did. This worked fine for a couple of months. She then, suddenly stopped eating all together. I took her to the vet and everything seemed fine. I tried the food that the vet recommended. Again, everything was fine for a few months. She suddenly stopped eating once again. I tried several different dog foods and this pattern continued. I finally started making all of Nyxi's food (basically 60% ground beef, 20% rice, and 20% veggies). She seemed to really enjoy this and this worked for close to a year...then, once again, she suddenly refused to eat.

After trying many different foods, I found a brand of all natural organic food called Organix Canine Adult Formula Dry Dog Food. She has actually eaten this dog food consistently for about 2 years. It is a little pricey but it isn't a big deal because a bag lasts her for so long. I also know that Nyxi is eating enought because one of my daughter's favorite things to do is feed Nyxi her kibble. Nyxi will wait patiently while Gina digs around in her dish and fishes out a piece. She'll then gently take it from Gina and eat it. This seems to entertain both of them so Mommy can get some work done! :)

No comments: